If you dread inserting zippers into your D-I-Y project because you’re afraid of turning your masterpiece into a dud, I’d like to tell you that with little bit of planning it is possible to ensure a professional result each and every time. Here are some of our favorite tips for perfect zipper installation.
- Always use a zipper foot when machine basting and permanent stitching zippers into your projects.
- To ensure perfect placement before permanent sewing, machine baste or glue the zipper into place first.
- To shorten a zippers that’s too long, first close the zipper. Then Measure down from the top of the slider to the desired length and mark. Next sew a straight line across the mark you just made and working from one side to the other making sure to stitch tightly across the teeth ( do this at least 8 times). Finally just cut the zipper 1/2″ below where you just stitched.
- Create your own top stitching guide. Prior to top stitching your zipper in place, apply a piece of 1/2″ wide transparent tape to the top of your fabric- then just sew around its straight edge.
- When top stitching around the zippers slider and tab, stop stitching just before you reach the slider leaving the needle in the fabric. Then raise the presser foot and pull the slider down below the needle. Finally lower your presser foot and just continue topstitching.
Need step-by-step help? Check out this great tutorial at Sew Mama Sew!
We’ve just added some gorgeous new decorative tassels to our online store. We now carry gorgeous beaded tassels, mini tassels, key tassels, ball tassels and more. Why not stop by our store. There’s No Minimum Order Amount Required to purchase and we ship fast!
We have a large assortment of by the yard fabric trims in our online store and if you Need something you don’t see listed? Contact us as we are always willing to see if we can get that special trim for you.
Here’s a Small Sample of Our New Arrivals:
Description: Wrights 1-1/2″ Mini Tassels from Wrights are the perfect finishing touch for many apparel and home dec projects. Use these mini tassels to adorn purses, scarfs, pillows and many other sewing projects.
Composition: 100% Polyester
Care: Hand Wash Cold / Reshape / Dry Flat
Description: Our Conso Princess Bell Tassel has a 3″ (76mm) Tassel awith 1 (25mm) Loop. It is composed of 99% acetate/ 1% cotton. The colors are Oyster, Shell and Sandstone. The Conso color name is: Dreamsicle, Color code: 11309 PR01
Composition: 99% acetate/ 1% cotton
Description: Our 6″ Trading Spaces Beaded tassel with tieback features a 16″ spread.